Tuesday, 3 December 2013

Learning to Paraphrase Scriptures

A very good tool for seeking to understanding the Word of God is to attempt to re-write it into your own words.   It may not end up to be a very accurate translation, but it will be a lot more meaningful than if we simply read it without thinking about it. 
This is particularly important when we read a very familiar passage of scripture, when all our minds think about are the impressions from the past…..  A fresh approach in seeking God’s Spirit to re phrase the words to you will make a much greater impression to you. 


 Kenneth Taylor’s Living Translation is a great example of paraphrase, and so is the Message from Eugene Petersen.   The Message gave a rather illuminating paraphrase of the very familiar passages of the Sermon on the Mount
The following is my attempt to paraphrase a lovely Psalm :  -     

Psalm 23 ( a paraphrase )
LORD, you are MY Shepherd my very own, …..even though you have a thousand other sheep….. I am still very special to you.    You know me and you know what I need… and you supply every one of them…

When I desperately needed rest and time out and I stubbornly refused to quit, you stopped me in my tracks and simply made me to lie down and rest, despite my protest. 
 
When the noises and voices that clamour for my attention became too intense, you
simply took me by the hand and we walked and walked, slowly, next to a beautiful stream, where the water gurgling gently and soothingly, brought peace to my heart.    When you saw how dry and parched and empty I was, yes, I have been giving out and giving out until there is nothing more to give…. then you poured your love, your peace, your healing and your Spirit into my soul… bringing fresh hope, courage and joy…
 
And when I felt really perplexed about the future, and what is the next step to take, you simply held out your hand and said: Follow me…   I will guide you and direct you in the way that you should go…

But I am frightened, I said, about that long dark valley; I am fearful of what may happen in that next long stretch of the unknown… and he simply said:  would you still be afraid if I come with you?    No Lord, I trust you, I know you will protect me… reassure me when I am afraid… 

We’ll do better than that, he said, let us celebrate; let’s hold a banquet in front of those who want to harm you and destroy you…those who speak evil of you and about you ..Because I want to show them that I love you…and you are precious to me… and nothing that they plan or do can ever touch you… 

And even as he spoke, he poured his oil of blessing on my head and he filled my cup of joy to overflowing… Wherever you go, he said, my love and mercy will follow you, and throughout this life and beyond you will always live in my presence.... because you are my sheep, my child, my very own…
What about you trying to do some paraphrasing yourselves : 

Main rule for paraphrasing:
1.   Pray and ask the Lord to show you what the passage means to you.  

2.  Read through the whole passage to get to the main sense of the passage.

3.  Try to use a different word or phrase to replace key words in the passage.

4.  The whole passage must flow rather than truncated into individual phrases and sentences.

5.  The passage must be meaningful and down to earth, avoiding  religious jargons as far as possible.  
 

 Another  Example:   Psalm 46 

Original :  God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
God = Jesus, the Lord, My Saviour
Refuge = the place where I can hide from my enemies, from danger, a place of safety
Strength = makes me strong, he gives me power to overcome difficulties,
Ever present = he will never go away, he is always available, totally trustworthy
Help = he is alongside me to give me a hand, he is always encouraging me
Trouble = when things have gone really bad, when I can't cope anymore.

Paraphrase :  
The Lord Jesus is the place I run to hide when things go very wrong.   He alone gives me courage and ability to cope.   He will never turn away and leave me to my own devices.   He always encourages me and protects me when everything and everyone seem to go against me.  

Original : 
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth gives way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea. Though the waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.   
Therefore = for this reason; this is a good reason to
Fear = tremble, frighten, feel out of control, fear desperate, feel afraid, 
Earth = the ground, the foundation, what supports me, 
Mountains = what is very strong, huge structures, solid structures,
Fall = collapses, vanishes, disappears, gets swallowed up by
Heart of the sea = deep into the deepest depth of the ocean,  

Paraphrase
For this reason, we will remain calm and composed even though everything around us has collapsed into a heap:  even the very foundation on which we place our confidence is shaken, our money, our careers, our health, our family, our government. Some of these structures that once we thought were immovable and permanent were disappearing, like a sinking ship being swallowed up into the deepest depth of the ocean.  Giant waves swell up, making a deafening noise and a spectacular display while the mountains seem to tremble with fear.


No comments:

Post a Comment